Friday, November 16, 2012

How to tight everything together as a whole?


The competition deadline for this China project is getting close. It will wrap up everything by the end of this month. On yesterday’s meeting, we just received the checklist for all the drawing materials we need to work on. It’s a full list of A4, single-spaced! I love working on competitions if I’m not doing both school and work at the same time. While interning full time in London ZHA, I was also fortunate enough to participate in a competition. The pace of it excites and challenges every cell of me, and brought me to another zone that I didn’t even know I’m capable of doing.

Doing over 20 hours per week on work could easily loose the equilibrium state between school and work. Like life always is, it is easy to just dedicate to one thing, but very difficult to balance work, life and ambition. What truly brings me a lot of pressure is the balance between the amounts of work I were given in relation to my perfectionist pursuit on the quality of work I want to deliver. Since English is my second language, it takes me much more efforts to read, write, and research. For the deliveries (either drawings, essays or presentations), if they are a cup of water, I’ll have to prepare a bathtub of water in order to fulfill my standard of quality on that cup of water.

Since the school could easily takes up all my energy, I always hope that during the hours I could work, I’m just making productions. Unfortunately, as a group, there are always meetings to check-in and set up next goals when everyone is present. Thus, during the hours I could dedicate to work, most of the times are the meetings. Which also means, in order to have stuff to present during the meeting, I’ll have to work after hours. It is such a struggle for me for the time after work since there are both loads of school and work, but I already exhausted from the day.

For this competition, I’m in charge of a hotel room design, both layout and 3D. Deliveries including renderings (with material and light PS-ed), and line works that demonstrate the spatial organization. In addition, there are also final PS work of elevation and some renderings. All of the work I was assigned are the fun parts. The only issue is the time!
The good thing about making my own design projects in school is that, the product only has one language through out, and could easily being seen as a whole piece. During work, especially in big firms, there are multiple hierarchies,  a design could easily pile up different languages. Till the end, it is very hard to connect all these languages together. Of course it is great to hear so many different voices on how their perception of the design is, and I learn a lot from the critiques.

My original idea on designing this specific hotel room is everything can flow as one piece: There are rhythms of emergence out of the wall and become the functional elements, such as the desk and shelves; bed could also flow and slowly become a sofa; Lighting, ceiling, and floor pattern help tight up all these elements as a whole, and at the same time they echoes with each other.

I guess the process of finding connections, as well as making subtractions between different languages generated by different voices is the crucial challenge for the early stages of working. 

No comments:

Post a Comment